Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A room of inspirational women

Last night the who's who of Sunshine Coast business women gathered for a cocktail party at the Hyatt Coolum. Coined 'The Purple Room' this event is specifically for finalists in the annual business awards and I felt amazed a proud to be among them.

Awards are a funny thing... on one hand I know they are a fantastic way to get the word out about your business... and on the other, I am never quite sure if I deserve to be in such company.

The entire process of being nominated (by my wonderful friend Terri), compliling a submission and going through the interview process has been a really good way to look back on the past year and take stock of what's to come. It is a process I would recommend to ANY business person. It has clarified my thoughts for the coming year, and giving me the opportunity to meet a range of inspirational women.

Not only that, but it has given me a renewed vigor to face challenges. After all, Tony and Maureen Wheeler (from Lonely Planet) started self publishing their first book from their Melbourne garage... from little things, big things grow!

Unlike other awards I have entered in the past, the process for this one includes such evenings as last night where you actually get to meet your 'competitors' and learn from them. Not only that, but business leaders spoke of their experiences in the past and shared tips on how to dress, what to say and how to deal with media if you win. Thanks to all the wonderful mentors I felt I had in that room!

Now the wait begins... the winner will be announced on August 14, also at the Hyatt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!