Friday, January 1, 2010

The best New Year present


This might be the only time I am in Sydney for New Year so I made my way with the rest of the state's population to Circular Quay then, on advice from the train ticket seller, walked round under the 'coat hanger' to the other side. She was spot on because there were far less people here and I found a possy on a jutting dock with unencumbered view and nice neighbours. Pat and Megan were from Penrith. She much older than he, and he originally from Hong Kong. An unlikely pair, they seemed to gel together really well and we shared lovely conversations for the couple of hours we waited for the early fireworks. And what a wonderful spectacle it was!

Aparently "this was nothing" and I should wait for the midnight version... which I did. I had loosely planned to meet best friends Marc, Simone and Kyara who are visiting family down here. It worked perfectly and I moved to the other side of the bridge (foregoing position for close friends) in time for the countdown and big bang.

Golden fire rained down on us as the bridge seemed to explode into never ending colour. Watching this on TV is nothing compared to being squeezed between sweaty bodies all looking skyward. I am so glad I made the effort, and even the couple of hours shuffling back to the train station caught up in a wave of humanity didnt diminish it's effect.

Four hours sleep later I was in my car, hooking up the Navman and making my way to the airport to pick up Amber. In my excitement I was an hour or so early, but it didnt matter... airports are for people watching. The highlight at international arrivals was when a middle aged muslim lady arrived pushing her trolley. A grown man, who presumably was her son, didnt let the barriers hold him back and he lept the bar to whisk the woman up in an enormous embrace. Sitting next to me an Asian woman turned and said "isn't it lovely to see the joy". How wonderful, I thought, that the moment had been so moving that an Asian woman saw fit to comment on the joy of a muslim to a white woman!

I was almost as excited when I saw Amber appear looking grown up again. After goodbyes with Jay and Monica we made our way outside and sat at a cafe for a while sharing and swapping stories. Amber showed me her trinkets and I told her of our changes in plans then we drove to Peg's house for a quiet day filled with regular hugs and unexpected kisses.

Plans began to develop: Tomorrow we will meet Marc, Simone and Kyara at the Sydney Olympic Park. The next day we have splurged and bought tickets to see the world renowned performance of Wicked! (We are both extremely excited about this one!). Then on Monday we drive to the Blue Mountains where we are camping for two nights and visiting Jenolan Caves. Its an enviable schedule and we are both pretty excited.

The best New Year's present of all? Amber is home! For the first time I have a partner in crime as I research NSW!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!