Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Hidden treasure at Mingling Waters

Ah, I am stuffed... partly from driving, but mostly from the feast produced by my wonderful neighbour Judy who invited me for dinner!

What a busy day it was. First I pedalled around Merimbula Beach taking pictures, then packed the trailer in glorious weather, and headed into town with a map dotted with things to see courtesy of the wonderful staff at the caravan park.

Bar Beach is a wonderful place for small kids so I started there. On to town where the parking fairies were hard at work and I managed to find TWO parking spots next to each other, right in the middle of town. The information centre was helpful, and the Waterfront restaurant a real winner... then on to Fishpen Road where I discovered a wonderful bike track with pelican sculptures on poles in the water.

It was noon before I finally dragged myself away from Merimbula and headed south. First stop the Eden Whale Museum, then continuing south. What beautiful scenery as I crossed into Victoria! And then again when I crossed the Snowy River!

Tonight I was welcomed by Mike at Mingling Waters, 20km north of Lakes Entrance. It doesn’t  look much from the road, but this place is a real treat. Fluffy couches in the camp kitchen, a partially renovated amenities and individual old cabins add to the charm, but its the waterway that tops it off. The water here is a constant 28 degrees, fed by an underground spring. Tent up, and neighbours met, I dropped the kayak in the water and headed out for a paddle and a swim (the latter sinking up to my knees in the soft mud). As I dragged the kayak back, my neighbour Judy invited me for dinner and the rest, as they say, is history. Two hours later my list of places to visit has expanded (especially due to Drew from Bendigo!), and I have made new friends! Ah, the joys of camping...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!