Tuesday, December 27, 2011

On the road again!

I felt very mothered this morning (in a good way) as I headed away from Sydney with individual packages of Christmas cake, a butter container full of carved ham and three people waving madly as I pulled from the driveway.  For the next few days I will make my way south, much like the Sydney to Hobart boats I watched exit the Heads yesterday... and I will initially follow their course.

I had imagined I would drive down the coast but Jessie the GPS (who leads me astray often) decided Canberra was the fastest way to Merimbula, so that’s the way we went. Probably a good choice because i was able to get some good miles under my belt without stopping at every beautiful vista along the way.
From Cooma, however, the road was new to me as it wound down from the Snowy’s to Bega. It was spectacular too so my progress slowed... first as I stopped at a duck pond for lunch, then at the stunning Fred Piper lookout where I took a short rainforest walk.

I couldn’t resist satisfying my tastebuds at the Bega factory and arrived at the Big4 Merimbula Beach at around 5pm with a heavy southerly blowing and the Sydney to Hobart fleet beating against it as I tried to get my awning up. It’s all about technique: for them and me both...

What a lovely caravan park this is... the cabins all have million dollar views, there are two pools, a games room for older kids, movies at night, jumping pillow, playground, shop and cafe... more like a resort really!
So, I toast those sailors sitting on the rail with constant salt spray in their faces, and thank goodness I saw the light and gave up sailing for camping! Cheers chaps!

1 comment:

  1. What a great trip again! So much fun, so much to do, see, meet and experience. Keep on writing so we can enjoy with you! Have fun. xxx Simone

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!