Saturday, December 31, 2011

(Posted a day late due to internet issues)
There are many reasons for camping, and the universality of this pastime mean that sometimes campers clash. Whereas I might like peace and quiet, the freedom of being in a natural environment and the ability to go to bed with the sun, young campers sometimes prefer the freedom to catch up with friends and share a slab or two.
Now, some campsites attract boring old farts like me, some just families and others the party crowd. While I jostled for position at the amenities sink last night with three teens applying makeup (while I was trying to do my teeth before bed) I got the distinct impression that campsite might be the latter. I was correct and I found myself (for the first time) calling to turn my neighbours in. It WAS midnight, and I HAD been guessing the answers to their charades for the past hour or so... so that’s my excuse.

A disproportionate number of singlets, tats and stubby holders give me the impression tonight might be a repeat performance. A group of youngsters next door have been chugging the beers for the last few hours which has affected their hearing and an increase in decibels and words beginning with F.  It’s not even dark yet.
Between my tent and the loud ones is a family on their first ever camping adventure. The six-year-old girl rode without training wheels for the first time this afternoon, and the delight on her face was electric. At 8.30pm, I imagine she and her brother are getting ready for bed... just as the volume increase.  It makes me wonder: should campsite be divided into experience requirements just like cemeteries are divided into religions?  Maybe ‘family, nature or party’ would do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!