Sunday, December 27, 2009

Go to gaol... do not pass go!

Although the rain depression was supposed to have cleared by today, it didn't, and I found myself packing a wet tent in the pouring rain. By the time it was down, I was soaked, most of my clothes were packed away inside it, and I was left scrambling for cover inside the car. Not a fantastic start, but first stop was Old Dubbo Gaol and it certainly didn't disapoint. Manager Steven and cohort Ben laid on an enactment of life in the prison. This was backed up by a wonderful hologram life story of the resident hangman and his 'clients'. Even the cells themselves came to life with recorded chatter on inmates as you passed through, making it a really good way to bring history to life. Much impressed.

On the road I drove to Wellington to the Caves and Phosphate mine. I toured the mine which promised a good insight and didnt really deliver... I think it had more to do with the tour guide than the subject, however.

Then late afternoon it was on to Parkes through a torrential downpour and country lanes. Luckily it petered out before I arrived and I luxuriously pitched the trailer without getting wet and chatting to my neighbours who had journeyed from Melbourne.

One of the delights of travelling alone is the people you meet who seem more willing to talk! I LOVE it!! Equally as excited about visiting the DISH tomorrow morning, and on to Cowra POW camp... talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!