Saturday, December 4, 2010

Activity and activists

I am sitting in my tent beside Lake Liddell, Musselbrooke after spending the last hour or so sharing conversation and vegetarian dinner with a buoyant group of activists as they prepare for a major action against the proposed construction of a new coal power plant across the water. We are surrounded by coal land: directly across, Liddell Plant puffs white smoke and a coal mine scars the land to the left. The proposed plant behind them will, apparently, take seven years to build and increase NSW emissions by 13%.

Tomorrow, these courageous folk will travel by bus to the plant and carry out a peaceful demonstration. I am amazed how well organised they are. They have thought of every contingency and have two lawyers on hand in case some are arrested. They have been here since Tuesday conducting and listening to workshops and reports on alternative options and they are all on the same page. Many of them are willing to spend the night in jail and submit to bail agreements in order to put forward alterative plans... and the evidence is strong. Apparently, renewable energy options would increase jobs in the area by eight times...

The manager of the campsite, and his chief helper both work in the plant... yet they see both sides of the issue. John took the Climate Camp program to work to show his collegues and show them the importance of the discussion. It is men like these who act as a go-between and increase the chance of society paying attention.

This has been a long day and this ending is one of two highlights. The other came early when I unhooked the trailer and drove 40km to Wollomombi Falls at about 6am. I was in awe of this amazing national park waterfall which was far more impressive than anything I saw in the Blue Mountains. NSW’s highest waterfall, it was shrouded in mist and the lookout was only 750m from the beautiful picnic area. I was the only person here and didn’t want to drag myself away. Amber would have LOVED this.

After breaking camp around 10am I headed south to Tamworth and here the day changed. When asked about things to do with kids in this famous town, the volunteer at the info centre said “we have ten pin bowling and a cinema...”. To his credit, he was over 60 and probably a long way from parenthood but his supervisor didn’t instill much more enthusiasm for the area. One thing grabbed my attention: a park where famous country singers had left handprints in the cement... so I rushed over, only to find the park overgrown and mildewed.

In frustration, I continued south and my faith was restored in a beautiful little town called (the name escapes me right now) where a beautiful monument garden to the First Fleet had been created. This unique garden included a weaving path between ‘gravestones’ for each of the ships and lists of every person on board. A final display included quotes from logs of those on board and bought this part of Australian history to life.

So, here I am... the tunes outside my tent were more mellow than those last night, but I am probably just as unlikely to get an early night because the heavens just opened and the lighteningshow is awesome! Like soldiers before a battle,my newfound friends are preparing for their adventures tomorrow, as must I. Tomorrow it’s on to Jervis Bay...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!