Monday, December 6, 2010

It's a zoo out there!

Today was better weather wise... first it threatened to rain while I packed the tent and didn’t, then the rain held off while I kayaked up the creek at Jervis Bay, it held off while I investigate Mogo Zoo and even held off when I put the tent back up in Batemans Bay. When did it rain? I hear you ask... while I was driving was pretty much it today... black clouds all around the rest of the time, but no rain...Yippee!


I put the kayak in at Huskisson boat ramp and headed downstream to the river mouth and Huskisson wharf. There I watched the tour boats going out which took me back to boat driving days. The water here is so clear that, on the paddle back I went right over the top of a huge black stingray. That was such a thrill.

Kayak back on the rooftop (I now have a pretty good routine to get it up there) I headed for Mogo where I had an appointment at 2pm to see the zoo. I nearly made it by the allotted time and chatted to GM John. This zoo was created by a woman with a vision. As you can imagine, I immediately connected with her journey. She knocked on doors until they gave her a permit then took the old and sick animals from other zoos until she proved herself. The zoo is now 20 years old and still owned by the same woman.


Unlike newer facilities, the enclosures aren’t huge or flash. This probably isn’t preferable for the animals, but they have been designed long and narrow so you get to see the animals up close and, I have to say, this makes for a better visitor experience than with the bigger safari zoos. Besides, it’s easy to walk around this one... even for little ones. Did you know that there are NO white lions left in the wild? They have several here. Not to mention these amazingly cute red pandas!

I ended up at the Big4 at Batemans Bay and erected the tent, taking no chances of leaks. Of course, this meant the weather hasn’t materialised, but I can cope with that. Just met some wonderful neighbours who are trying out their new caravan, got some laundry done, so my car doesn’t stink of wet towels anymore, and settled into chilli and rice for dinner. Ahh...life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!