Sunday, December 5, 2010

Back to the coast

I was not happy when I woke: partly because the band had only stopped playing four hours before, partly because everything outside my tent flap was soggy and partly because the path to the toilet was deep with mud and reminded me of Woodford three years ago... come to think of it, the people wandering back and forth in a daze looked like they belonged in Woodford too!


It took me a while to get my act together and stumbled myself to the food tent where I offered another donation for a hot mug of chai. That drunk, I felt better and packed the tent slowly, attempting to leave as much of the mud behind as possible. Goodbyes to John and Kim later, and I was on the road for a long journey south: Jervis Bay the eventual destination.

I took the inland route past Putty, which was stunningly green and beautiful, explaining the weather. My only scheduled stop today was at the Illawarra Fly, a man-made tree-top walkway on the ridge overlooking the coast. Despite low clouds and rain I continued in that direction and, luckily, the clouds parted in time for my visit. The view was lovely and the cantilever platform swayed with the trees in an almost organic fashion. Not the attraction for the faint-hearted because it’s very high and you can see through the walkway. The signage was well designed and colourful for kids, but a little high for them and the walkway, while paved and stroller-friendly, would have been a hard slog heading back. A courtesy golf-buggy shuttle would be much appreciated then!

About 1.5 hours further down the road I reached Jervis Bay. My caravan park (White Sands) could not have been more perfect. I have a front row seat to the beach, the surf tinkling as I type. It feels like coming home and I didn’t realise how much I had missed proximity to the ocean. Right outside the park is a VERY kid-friendly walk and bike track, away from any danger, and it runs all the way to town. The beach right outside offers rock pools, the type of sea weed we don’t get in Queensland, and views of a white-cliffed island and lighthouse. Now that’s what a call a great place for a holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!