Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I've found heaven (at least the southern version)

I woke to sunshine for the first time since I left home and basked in it, only leaving the campsite at the allotted 10am. First stop was the info centre in Bateman’s Bay where I explained what I was doing and asked the lovely young lady if she could tell me about any low or no cost things to do with kids in her town. “Will it be published?”she asked. “Then I can’t talk to you, you will have to talk to the advertising department.” Was this an information centre? I thought. Was it a TOURISM information centre? I was so taken back that I told her not to bother and left.


I drove south, back to Mogo where people had been so welcoming yesterday. It hadn’t been a fluke. The goldmining reinactment town in Mogo welcomed me with open arms and I joined a very informative and kid-friendly tour. Even got to pan for gold, but if this is how slow it is to get rich, I think I had better stick to books. I stopped at the Mogo Ice Creamery felt like coming home. The tiramisu ice cream amazing, by the way.

It took about an hour to get to Narooma and I think I have discovered heaven. If it wasn’t in a cold climate, I would consider living here. Small, laid back, water everywhere, dolphins in the bay, bike trails and walking trails to suit even the novice rider and wonderfully friendly staff at the caravan park. Amber would LOVE it here and I am starting to miss her.

My campsite for the night is right on the water’s edge at East’s. In the morning I will walk 200m down the bike path to the wharf where I meet Daryl who will take me across to Montague Island. Hopefully we will see more dolphins, penguins and seals on the way. Keep your fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. and? did you see more dolphins, penguins and seals? can i get my fingers out of their knot? it sounds like you're having fun and you meet very interesting people. what about a slideshow at the end of your trip? have fun and hug and see you soon!:o)SiMaKy and most important Bella!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!